|19 Sep 2018
|From the Archives
Tedworth House was founded in 1979 and situated in the four- storey block known as South, built in 1930/1. The four storeys were known respectively (from the ground floor) as Bottom South, Middle South, Top South and Top Top South.
In late 1961 Miss Willis moved from Regent’s Park to 38 Tedworth Square in Chelsea. She and her sister Dorothy, who had been very much involved with Downe House all her life, shared the house, and their niece, Elizabeth Godfrey, lived close by. Miss Willis had suffered a number of heart attacks and as a result became increasingly restricted – Dorothy nursed her and had to ration the number of visitors. Miss Willis’ interest in others did not diminish one bit as she declined; remembering details in the lives of others, she would ask how events had gone, of mutual friends and of the wellbeing of her visitors. She passed away in the early morning of March 11 1964. Her wish was to be cremated and her ashes are buried here in the Memorial Garden, beside those of other members of staff.
TEDWORTH HOUSE HOUSEMISTRESSES
1979 - 1982 Mrs Barbara Sidebottom
1982 - 1985 Mrs Penny Richardson-White
1985 - 1997 Mrs Alison Gwatkin
1997 - 2014 Mrs Wendy Nurser
2014 - 2021 Mrs Sarah Barnard
2021 Annabel Brown